WARNING: This is a tad long, so feel free to take it in bite-size chunks!
I have thought of perseverance in the past as little more than just survival. I have persevered in different types of situations; the night before a paper is due; or on pull-up day in 7th grade gym class; or when hit by the urgent need to use the bathroom with thirty minutes left on the drive home. However, my understanding of perseverance has been challenged as of late. So I recently spent a night looking up the many uses of the word in the Bible in the hopes that I can persevere better.
I was surprised to find that the word is only found in the New Testament. There are certainly Old Testament equivalents, but the actual English word is only found in the NT. Now the word is used largely in two ways. First, perseverance refers to clinging to Christ and his salvation through the entirety of one’s life. Second, perseverance is used in reference to outlasting persecution in the name of Christ. So I acknowledge up front that the perseverance I am experiencing does not relate specifically to persecution, or salvation per se. Still, a glimpse at some of the ways the word is used might be illuminating for you, as it has been for me.
Luke 8:15 But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.
So landing in good soil doesn’t come without its struggles. Otherwise, why would this seed need to persevere? The seed in good soil still faces challenges. The good soil doesn’t keep the seed from difficulties, but enables the seed to live beyond them. I have often thought that good soil was that place where I was immune from problems. Not so. The good soil is God’s Word, which enables us to persevere through our trials.
Not only does God's Word help us to persevere in trials, but it also helps us to produce a crop in them. How crazy is that? Most of my persevering has been done in the fetal position with my thumb in my mouth! However, perseverance is a time when the word of God nourishes us in the midst of trials, and yields a crop a hundred times more than was sown. Oh, to bear fruit in perseverance. So far I’m only seeing raisins; and little ones at that.
Romans 5:3-5 …but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.
Suffering produces perseverance. What if it didn’t? What if I chose not to allow the suffering in my life to produce perseverance? According to Paul’s logic, without perseverance I have no character; without character there is no hope; and without hope there is unceasing disappointment. So perseverance is active, not passive. It is not merely waiting. Perseverance is an interior work of the Holy Spirit, creating a firm hope that does not waiver based on our circumstances. (See also James 1:4)
Romans 12:11-12 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, [persevere] in affliction, faithful in prayer.
In this section of chapter 12 Paul is rattling off different admonitions related to basic Christian living. In the middle of his basic Christianity is the challenge to persevere in affliction. Perseverance is a core trait for all Christians, not just the pitiful ones. Are we ok with that? How does it change our understanding of suffering if we realize on the front end that we are to be well stocked in perseverance?
Romans 15:5 May the God who gives [perseverance] and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus…
God gives perseverance. He is the source. Surely his storehouse never runs dry. Spurgeon wrote, “What more could you need with Omnipotence on your side?” Perseverance is not found in any source other than the Father. In times of trial, deeper communion will lead to greater perseverance. It has always been my experience that when I run away, I crumble.
1 Corinthians 13:7 [Love] always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love perseveres so that we might share the gospel, reach the unreached, minister with our spiritual gifts, be a voice for the voiceless, stand up against injustice, feed the hungry, give our resources away, heal a marriage, care for the sick, complete an adoption. Without perseverance love is painfully incomplete.
2 Thessalonians 3:5 May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.
What is “Christ’s perseverance”? It is the Garden of Gethsemane. It is sweating drops of blood. It is being beaten and mauled. It is hanging naked and humiliated on the cross. It is giving his life for mine. When I need a model for how to endure my trials, I need only to look at the cross. Isaiah wrote in the Messiah’s voice, “Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame” (Is. 50:7). Christ persevered through the greatest agony for the joy set before him.
James 1:12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
I believe James is speaking more directly about clinging to your faith in the midst of persecutions. Still, I want to be that blessed man who has persevered under my trials, whatever shape they take. There have been days that were faith-rattling. You’ve been there right? How amazing will be the day when we receive our reward from God. (See also John 16:21)
Revelation 2:2a I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance.
Jesus is speaking here to the church at Ephesus. Here he says that he knows their perseverance. I’ve never thought of my perseverance being on display before Christ. What does that mean? I understand it like this. He is present in my affliction. Not watching from afar, like a distant spectator. He is present in the midst of it as a co-sufferer. Perseverance is made easier when I remember that God is with me.
So there’s a bit more to perseverance than just surviving. Our perseverance is given by God, attended by Christ, and enabled by the Holy Spirit. The Godhead is on your side in seasons like this. May God give us strength and grace as we learn to live in Christ’s perseverance.


WOW!!! What a wonderful encouragement for today, regardless of the nature of your struggle!
ReplyDeleteI know you are more than ready to have your whole family together in one place, but God is using your family to reach and touch so many people. I hope you can be encouraged by that. Still, I pray you get to bring them home with you, Cody, at the end of your visit. Wouldn't that be great?
Cody, Can I put this on my blog, it seems relevant to any situation.
ReplyDelete