Wednesday, July 14, 2010

God knows... right?

One amazing thing about this adoption adventure has been "meeting" other families adopting from Uganda.  We've met one family in person and lots of them online.  Isn't the World Wide Web amazing!  I'm so glad Al Gore invented it.  =) Ok, anyway, these other families are great resources for information on everything from lawyers, timelines, paperwork, hotels, hair and skincare.  I don't know if we would make it through this process without them.

Recently one mom wrote a blog about her last trip to finally pick up her child after months of drama.  She got about an hour notice before she had to leave and get on a plane.  Wow!  Thankfully she didn't have to be gone too long, but still!  Then another mom that I've gotten to know pretty well got a call Monday morning while on vacation in another state.  Her lawyer asked if she could be in Uganda by Wednesday morning for a last minute court hearing.  Mind you, it normally takes 24-48 hours of travel to get to Uganda.  She had two hours to book tickets, pack a bag, go to the bank, and get to the airport.  Thankfully, she brought her paperwork and passport with her.  She arrived in Africa at 8:45 and her hearing was scheduled for 9:00.  It's at least a 45 minute drive from the airport.  She left her luggage at the airport and took off.  Thankfully, they were running on African time and her hearing was delayed three hours.  She made it and went to the hearing with no shower or sleep in 2 days.   Another family got a call on Tuesday and left today for a Friday hearing.  Oh my!!  Praise the Lord that these families are one step closer to bringing their kids home.  Both of the family's with hearings this week have special circumstances that make it very important for them to get their kids home soon.  I'm so glad they got in when they did.

Now, normally people would get at least a week's notice before a court hearing.  A lot of these last minute hearings stem from judges returning last week from a two week conference and trying to get things done before the court holiday that begins next week.  But still... I keep telling myself, "God does know that this control freak, type "D" personality needs a little more than two hours of notice to leave the country?"  Now I know if push comes to shove I could do it, but I'm afraid I might hyperventilate on the plane on the way there.