Friday, October 8, 2010

Good vs. Bad

Today’s been a day of good and bad…


Three days this week we’ve been woken up by a rooster literally standing on our window ledge and cock-a-doodling over and over again. The rooster belongs to the neighbors and likes to fly over the fence to “visit” our hen, Obama. Yesterday, Cody and Jeremy attempted to catch the rooster and it ended up coming into the house until they finally cornered it and covered it with a towel. Cody is quite proud! But the rooster was back today at 5am. Good news… today we convinced Laney to give Obama to a needy family, so we hope and pray that the rooster will not visit anymore and that the hen will make a great meal.

Called the Embassy early this morning…. Good news the woman actually answered, bad news she said I will be here another week or two.

I was very sick Wednesday and Thursday… I felt bad Cody’s last couple of days here were not much fun, but I was very grateful he was here to help. Good news… I’m feeling much better today.

Several contacts have offered to help in getting us home…. Good news that they are so sweet to do so. Bad news … the Embassy closes at noon on Fridays and will be closed Monday for Columbus Day.

Mercy decided to start walking today. Good news… Cody and I both were in the room to witness those first precious steps. Bad news… I can’t upload the video, so you’ll have to wait a few days for Cody to do it, but let me tell you she has the funniest little swagger.

Cody, Mercy and I got to eat out at a great restaurant for lunch. Good news… fab food and air conditioning. Bad news… we had to walk home in the rain, but it really wasn’t too bad.

Took Cody to the airport tonight… Good news… I’m glad Emma and Avery will have their daddy home. Bad news… Mercy and I did not go with him. It was so hard to stand at the windows and watch him walk away without us.

Our driver to the airport didn’t realize I’d need a ride home (even thought I told him this!) and then tried to make me either wait 2-3 hours for another person he was picking up at the airport or find another taxi. Then he tried to cheat me and charge me double. Good news… I talked my way out of it and found a very nice new driver. Bad news… we came home in the worst traffic I’ve ever seen in Kampala. I mean it was bad! Cars everywhere trying to go around each other, two lane roads turned into 6, I saw at least four cars and bodas hit each other, policemen yelling and pulling people over in the middle of the road. It’s a Friday night which is always horrible and tomorrow is Independence Day, so it was even worse.

I’m very sleepy… Good news, I’m going to bed. Bad news… the neighbors didn’t get that memo and their very loud party keeps going on and on. It's 11:25 pm. Ugh!