One of these new friends was a huge blessing to me this week. Abi was here adopting a little boy and left last week. Her and several of the other families that were going home last week left me their leftovers. I got shampoo, soap, snacks, bug spray, and lots of other goodies. Then she went one step further. She knew another adoptive parent coming to Uganda this week. So she asked me if there were things I really needed. So I met this total stranger in a parking lot on Friday and he gave me a bag with a few essentials. It felt like Christmas to me. The most prized and vain possession… hair dye. Let’s just say I was a little overdue on covering up those “lighter” hairs. So Beth graciously colored my hair in her front yard on Friday afternoon. It’s the little things in life.
| Happy Hair Dye Day! |
Also on Friday, Beth and I went to our favorite outdoor crafts market. I was able to get most all of my Christmas shopping done. That is a good feeling! I have an entire bag crammed full of gifts for people. And I got it all really cheap... oh wait, my loved ones read this blog… I spent lots of money on each and every gift. ;)
| Movies! |
Another new past time is watching movies that I buy from guys off of the street. These guys walk around with hundreds of movies in these big black bags. Each DVD is about $2 or less and most are new releases. I’m getting my fill of girl movies that Cody would never want to watch with me at home. And so far only one has been a dud, and I’m taking that one back tomorrow. Who knew you could get a return policy from a street vendor?!
| Scary Mickey |
And I had to take Mercy to the doctor this week. I took her to the fancy Paragon Hospital that I blogged about a few weeks back. She’s had continual ear infections and I thought they might have better equipment and treatment plan. They sort of did, but in the meantime, I covertly snapped this picture of a mural they had on the wall in the waiting room. That’s supposed to be Mickey Mouse. This scary version of Mickey appears all over Uganda… in schools, on day cares and painted fences. I just think it’s a bit disturbing and thought I’d share it with you. There was also a great mural in the actual patient room of a cat giving a dog a shot with a gigantic needle. I don’t know how someone thought that would be comforting to a child. But I couldn’t get a picture because I didn’t want the doctor to think I was totally crazy.
| Mercy's first braid |
Once again, I’m curious for any blog suggestions from any of you. So what in the world are you wondering about my current life… or are any of you wondering about my life? Ha! It does seem a bit arrogant to ask, but if you are curious about stuff or have something you’d like me write more about just leave me a comment.
** I am placing a “Love Mercy” t-shirt order on Monday the 29th. So please get your orders in today and shirts should be back in time for Christmas.**


OK, I confess, when a mission team was coming over last spring, the number one thing I wanted was hair dye. Even though they arrived late at night, I colored my hair that very night! (I think the next best thing they brought me was Junior Mints from my daughter-in-law!)
ReplyDelete